Producer, Latino USA (New York, NY)
Latino USA, a nationally broadcast hour-long radio program on NPR hosted by Maria Hinojosa, is seeking a Producer for a full-time position to join our expanding and vibrant team of audio journalists. The position will be contracted for one year, with the possibility of extension.
Latino USA’s interviews and pieces cover subjects concerning Latinos nationwide with heavy focus on immigration, criminal justice, technology, human rights, labor, sexual and reproductive health, Latino identity, arts, and cultural coverage. For more information on the show, go to www.latinousa.org. The offices of Futuro Media Group, which produces Latino USA, are located in Harlem, New York City.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Producer will:
- Produce long-form, character-driven features and investigations for national radio;
- Generate ideas for coverage of the aforementioned topic areas (plus more) and bring well-developed pitches to the weekly editorial meeting;
- Work with reporters and partners to gather tape and interviews for the show;
- Travel as needed while working closely with host on special projects;
- Report on topics as assigned and produce first-person radio features as needed;
- Write, book, line produce, and edit host-led 2-ways;
- Brief the host prior to regular appearances on other broadcast outlets if needed;
- Write web content and social media as assigned;
- Help with general production tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in journalism, communications, Latino studies, or a related field; or equivalent work experience.
- Two to five years of experience producing long-form or documentary radio or podcast reports.
- Experience writing and editing broadcast scripts for radio or television.
- Spanish language skills a plus, but not required.
- A knack for developing relationships and sources.
- Significant experience with ProTools or similar digital audio editing platforms.
- Experience working with talent.
- Commitment to diverse coverage within and outside of the Latino community, in terms of sexual orientation, gender, and race.
- Ability to think thematically and integrate stories into the larger narrative of each week’s program.
- Experience pitching story ideas and subsequently developing them.
- Attention to detail, great organizational skills, and capacity to complete projects in their entirety and on deadline.
- Teamwork ethic, great communication skills, and rock-solid reliability.
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Please submit the following:
- a cover letter stating qualifications;
- your resume;
- three (3) work samples (can be links);
- and two (2) references.
Must be submitted by Friday, July 12, 2019 to be considered for this position, but we encourage early applications.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter via email with the subject “Latino USA Producer Position” to [email protected]. Please include where you saw this job posting.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.
Audio Internships, Latino USA
Latino USA is produced out of our Harlem office by The Futuro Media Group—an independent non-profit media organization that explores and gives voice to the diversity of the American experience. Latino USA is a weekly hour-long radio magazine show hosted by Maria Hinojosa. The show airs in over 220 public radio stations nationwide with a podcast that surpassed 3.3M downloads in 2018.
We want self-starters to help in the production of the show covering everything from news to cultural trends affecting Latinos in the U.S. The staff is small, so there is a lot of room to do meaningful work.
- Research segment topics and interview subjects
- Pre-interview subjects before they come to studio
- Participate in editorial and production meetings
- Research and gather materials for show website
- Assist in assembling the weekly show
- Assist in reporting and recording audio for stories produced in-house
- Assist in writing scripts for host interviews
- Assist in editing audio from studio interviews
- Develop and produce an enterprise story for radio.
- Advanced matriculated college student—graduate or advanced undergraduate
- Self-directed and can work with a team in a fast-paced, extremely dynamic office environment.
- Excellent, snappy, vibrant writing, especially for radio and web
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor and other team members
- Familiarity with ProTools or other audio editing software programs
- Familiarity with news outlets from around the country
- Familiarity with policy and cultural trends, as well as with socioeconomic and racial/ethnic demographics of communities around the U.S.
- Familiarity with radio production process
- Familiarity with radio recording equipment
- Good writing, good at QA checking and copyediting
Latino USA accepts interns for the Spring, Summer and Fall terms.
In order to apply please submit your applications by the following dates:
Spring (mid-January through mid-May) – Apply by November 15
Summer (June through August) – Apply by April 15
Fall (mid-September through mid-December) – Apply by August 1
Send cover letter outlining how your interests, skills and experiences that line up with what Latino USA does. Please also email a one-page resume and at least one audio sample of your work that shows off your mastery of style and content. Please submit as links or mp3s.
Email this to [email protected] with the subject line “LUSA Audio Internship” and please specify which term you are applying for.
About Latino USA
On the air for nearly 25 years and distributed by NPR, Latino USA is the only national, English-language news radio program produced from a Latino perspective. Anchored by Maria Hinojosa, the mission of Latino USA is to provide weekly insights into the lived experiences of Latino communities, and to be a window to the cultural, political and social ideas that impact the country’s demographic. Each week, we present a unique mix of coverage on culture and politics, diverse on-air voices, and in-depth reporting on current and emerging issues impacting Latinos and the nation. We believe in narrative journalism—using characters, plot, and an attention to detailed storytelling alongside the highest ethical standards to connect people to stories that matter to them. We believe in rigorous fact-checking, and in providing humanity, history, context and fun. The offices of Futuro Media Group, which produces Latino USA, are located in Harlem, in New York City.
Futuro Media is a diverse work environment and encourages female and/or gender-fluid individuals from all backgrounds to apply. Journalists of color and of other diverse backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
About The Futuro Media Group
The Futuro Media Group is an independent nonprofit organization producing multimedia journalism that explores and gives a critical voice to the diversity of the American experience. Based in Harlem and founded in 2010 by award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa, Futuro Media is committed to creating multimedia content for and about the new American mainstream in the service of empowering people to navigate the complexities of an increasingly diverse and connected world.